MAMA NETWORK / AFRICA – Mama Sophia App: a new Mama Network application to seek support and information
Over the past year, the MAMA Network member organizations Trust for Indigenous Culture and Health (TICAH, Kenya) and Generation Initiative for Women and Youth Network (GIWYN, Nigeria) partnered with Ibis Reproductive Health and a developer to design a new mobile application for people seeking support and information on issues related to reproductive health, especially self-managed abortion. With this app, published by Women Help Women, we created a tool that complements GIWYN’s and TICAH’s safe abortion hotline experience.
The Mama Sophia App is free and available in English for download through the Apple and Google Play stores anywhere in the world. The app can be used without internet access to:
- Track your period cycle and log your symptoms.
- Calculate the length of a pregnancy.
- Learn more about contraception and find which methods are best for you.
- Speak with the Mama Sophia chatbot.
- Explore safe abortion options and get the facts on national abortion laws.
- Connect with hotlines for free help and counselling.
All of this app activity is secure and confidential – no one will be able to access the data unless they know your Mama Sophia app password. People who share their phone with others can quickly close out of the app or use privacy screens, and they have the option to easily delete their app data if needed.
We are proud to share with you that we are publicly introducing the Mama Sophia App on 30 March! We would like to invite you to support us by raising awareness of the Mama Sophia App. There are several ways you can do this:
- One way is to simply spread the news with your networks! If you have access to social media, you can follow the Mama Sophia App Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Feel free to share the content from these pages on your own accounts, and please tag the Mama Sophia App where possible so the team can like and comment.
- Another way is to post about the app and join our Twitter Space! Everything you need to know about how to participate on Wednesday, March 30th, is in this document, including sample social media posts, graphics, and hashtags: http://bitly.ws/puTV
On behalf of the Mama Sophia App team, we thank you so much for your support! Please do not hesitate to reach out at any point with clarifying questions.
MAMA Network Coordination Team: firstname.lastname@example.org ; https://mamanetwork.org