To be published as a journal supplement in ContraceptionPapers will be peer reviewed and published as a journal supplement in or around June 2017, on an open access basis. A limited number of submissions in Spanish, peer reviewed in Spanish, are also welcome. Papers can take the form of original research, analysis, discussion and thought-pieces.Edited by Marge Berer, Lesley Hoggart and Silvina Ramos. Topics can include:
- Analysis of the type and quality of abortion service provision within your national health system, whether it is out of date or in line with best practice (WHO guidance), the extent and type of unmet need for safe abortion and where women are turning instead. Future perspectives for change.
- Extent of self-use of medical abortion pills – how are pills obtained and used; the amount of information women, pharmacists and health professionals receive/have about using them; the extent of and reasons for recourse to the health system for post-abortion care.
- Is self-use of medical abortions pills a criminal act in your country? Under what laws? Who is being prosecuted for it?
- The consequences of self-use of medical abortion pills for clinical services.
- Should there continue to be abortion services – what kind, provided by whom and where? What training for abortion providers?
- What is your optimal picture of self-use of medical abortion pills. Is it achievable?
- What future for aspiration and surgical abortion methods?
- Innovative service delivery models, including in restrictive contexts.
- What abortion service delivery guidelines and regulations are needed.
- What role do safe abortion information hotlines play, what difference have they made, and what is their future?
- How should post-abortion contraception be provided in these changing circumstances?
- What improvements in existing abortion methods should be the subject of research and development?
Submissions due no later than 1 January 2017Maximum word length 6,000 words (inc. refs)Contacts: Marge Berer / Lesley Hoggart (submissions in English); Silvina Ramos (submissions in Spanish)If you want to submit a paper, please send a brief note of intent only, in the first instance, with your contact details to Marge Berer. Submission details will follow.