Amnesty Argentina has launched a campaign and a website with the hashtag #MiHistoriaCuenta (My story counts) that will disseminate information about how deputies and senators voted in the congressional debate on the abortion bill in 2018 and to share information on the situation of abortion in the country. They argue that it is possible to elect a national Congress committed to a safe abortion law. The website contains an infographic with the following data:
- In the last 30 years, 1.5 million women have put their health and lives at risk and 3,000 of them have died from unsafe abortions.
- Complications from unsafe abortions have been the primary cause of maternal mortality in the last 30 years.
- The risk of low birth weight and premature delivery increases in births among girls and adolescent girls.
- 7 out of 10 adolescent pregnancies are unintended.
- 6 out of 10 adolescents do not receive information about preventing pregnancy in school.
Their petition in support of abortion law reform has already gained 200,000 signatures.
SOURCE: El Ciudadano, 31 July 2019 ; http://mihistoriacuenta.org/