Making telemedicine and self-managed abortion possible and safe
For 28 September this year, in light of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Campaign is calling on all countries to:
- set aside laws and policies restricting access to safe abortion,
- move first trimester abortion care to community and primary care level, managed by mid-level providers and pharmacists,
- allow the use of telemedicine as appropriate nationally,
- allow self-managed abortion with medical abortion pills, in line with WHO guidance, and
- allow second trimester medical abortion in outpatient settings, with social distancing, thus not requiring operating theatres except in complicated cases, which should be rare.
The Campaign coordination team are organising:
- Several online activities – including an Instagram Takeover today, 31 July (see below) – to be announced.
- A webinar in the week leading up to 28 Sept – details to be announced.
- This year marks 100 years since the first law permitting abortion was passed in the Soviet Union. We are preparing two statements, one on telemedicine for abortion and one on 100 years of abortion law and the future.